Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is PWEA?
What is VEA?
- VEA stands for Virginia Education Association. As a member of PWEA, you are also a member of VEA, our state organization. Learn more about VEA here: http://www.veanea.org/
What is NEA?
- NEA stands for the National Education Association. As a member of PWEA, you are also a member of NEA, our national organization. The NEA is largest union organization in the country with over 3 million members! That means 1 in every 100 Americans are a member of the NEA! Learn more at NEA's website here: www.nea.org
Where do my dues dollars go?
- Your dues dollars goes towards PWEA, VEA, and NEA. Each organization develops a budget that must be approved by a representative assembly of the membership. PWEA's budget includes funding for a full time release president, receptionist, administrative assistant, utilities for office, PWEA scholarships, funding for several committees, and more.
Do my dues dollars go towards political candidates?
- They do not. PWEA, VEA, and NEA have separate political action committees (PACs) which must fundraise and select candidates to recommend through an interview process.
How do I become a member?
What are the benefits of membership?
- Learn all about the benefits of membership here
Can anyone become a member?
- Whether part time or full time, or teacher, principal, book keeper, facilities worker, bus drivers... anyone can become a member of PWEA!
How much are dues?
- Current dues are as follows:
- Full Time Certified: $25.45 per pay
- Half time Certified: $13.20 per pay
- Full time ESP (classified) $13.55 per pay
- Half time ESP (classified) $7.38 per pay
- Substitute: $167.87 for the year
- Food Service and Transportation full time: $16.27 per pay
- Food Service and Transportation part time: $8.86 per pay
How can I get involved?
- Attend one of our trainings to become an association representative or join one of our committees! Here's a list of committees and their cochairs. Feel free to reach out to one of the chairs to learn more!
Who serves on the PWEA Board of Directors?
- Learn more about our PWEA Board of Directors here. Click on each of their names to learn more about them!
Can I have a silent witness in a meeting?
- Per PWCS Regulation 506.03-1 "When such a conference concerns dismissal, placement on probation, or suspension, or when another supervisor is present at such conference, the employee shall have the right to have present during the conference a silent witness of the employee's choice other than an attorney."
- You also have the right to know what a meeting will be in advance. If it is one of the scenarios listed above, you have the right to reschedule that meeting until a silent witness can be arranged. A silent witness can be anyone of your choosing, it does not necessarily have to be office staff. Do ask the silent witness to please send a copy of their notes to the PWEA office.
When should I call the office?
- If you are placed on an action plan
- If Child Protective Services (CPS) are involved
- If Police are involved
- If Risk Management is involved
- If you are called in for a disciplinary meeting
- Or if you ever have a question!